Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Small small, catch monkey: Amusing Illness Causation Theories and Almost Getting Stoned (no, not the kind with substances)

This week was a bittersweet rollercoaster ride of emotions, with one moment being wonderful, and the next being either terrifying, or just not enjoyable. Baby Abdel and Mireille left on Monday morning, and as much as I was not a fan of his screaming/testing his vocal chord range at high volumes, usually during the hours of 2-5 a.m., when he clung to me in a tight hug, not even wanting to go back to his mother or grandmother, I was forced to admit that damn, I’m really going to miss the little guy. After all, I saw his first steps, his family left him with me to take care of while they had gone to the farm (unbeknownst to me at the time that they had left), after I was done playing with him, I could gladly give him back to his mom to take care of, and (possibly best of all), was never scared of me, the la blanche (white person). Mireille and Abdel are moving back to Yaounde to live permanently. Another bittersweet happening was in my discussion with one of my best friends here, who is seriously considering ET-ing (early terminating, aka going back home). As much as I support her and am happy that she’s given this a lot of thought, realizing that this isn’t for her, the thought of her leaving really shook (and is still shaking me up). It also forces me to really reevaluate and think again of why am I here; what do I want out of the experience; what can I give to the people in my community; what can I learn; what have I learned about myself, others, the world so far – all questions that are not easily grappled with. Suffice it to say, I either know these answers, or am excited to discover/experience/figure them out, and if ever that changes and I don’t know the answers or think that being in Cameroon is not where I need to be, I’ll leave. I refuse to be one of the PCVs that stays out of stubbornness, or the fear of the scarier changes ahead of going home, or fear of the potential rejection/judgment of the other PCVs – staying when I’m not passionate/invested in the experience benefits noone, and actively hurts both my community and myself. Anyway, lots to think about. Also, fun fact: Peace Corps has an acceptance rate of under 20%.
            I think my introspective/retrospective mood was also such because I wasn’t feeling well. Being sick in a foreign country is easily one of the worst possible feelings/things to experience. Armed with one of the nurses, Julia and I went to the Bafia district hospital to determine what was wrong with our respective bodies. Julia has bronchitis, and I had stomach/abdominal cramps that were causing me flash fevers and waves of nausea – pleasant, huh? At the hospital, Julia was informed that her bronchitis was due to the fact that Cameroon is much colder than the US and that her not wearing scarves/parkas/sweaters. Riiiggghhht. I was informed that my ailments were due to the fact that Cameroon has lots of spices. When I politely told the two medical professionals who were telling me this horseshit explanation for my illness, I was told that it was the parsley and celery spices that were doing me in. Gaaaahhh! One blood draw later, I was informed that although I don’t have malaria or parasites (it’s the simple things in life, like no parasites, that really make you appreciate life), but have food poisoning…for two weeks. Also, when I told my family that I could only eat simple foods, my mom asked if oranges were okay, and when I responded yes, she proceeded to give me one of the heaviest meals ever: boiled manioc balls the size of your fist (gotta love that starch), and tomato fish sauce swimming in palm oil. No oranges were in sight. But on the bright side, I feel significantly better now, after dealing with real food poisoning and a cold last night, and I’m getting lots of firsthand experience with the Cameroonian healthcare system.
            On the flip side, we had our second community group meeting with the secondary school girls in the health club. The girls were no less interested that the last time we met, and this time, our curriculum focused on educating the girls on the different family planning mechanisms available to them, stating the advantages and disadvantages of both; showing them proper condom use with a wooden phallus borrowed from my host mama (this is something I never envisioned doing, let alone wanted to do; in fact, I told the people in charge of the health program that this is something I really wasn’t interested in doing in my community, but here I am, wooden phallus and condom in hand demonstrating proper use…; and going through different role play and case study scenarios that encourage the girls to be empowered and ideas to facilitate the conversation on sexual health with their parents and guardians. As before, the meeting lasted over two hours, and could easily have gone on for much more. Lots of the girls could’ve easily continued asking us questions, but there were several girls that were tired and potentially bored – working with a group of 30+ girls, talking about a potentially taboo topic, is hard work, but rewarding.
            Back to the bad experience: almost getting stoned – as in, small children throwing rocks at the white people, and not just to get our attention, these girls were throwing stones with the aim of hitting us. The same girls had bothered me another day when I was coming back home – they grabbed my arm, demanded food and money, and then pushed my backpack when I walked away. I suspect they might’ve done more if I hadn’t whirled around and demanded that they go away (without turning my back on them), watching them as they walked away. This time, I was with two other PCTs and a PCV trainer, and the girls had done the same routine to the other PCTs who were walking ahead of us. After their demands of food and money were not met and we walked away, the PCV yelped in pain and grabbed her shin – the seemingly 7-year-old girl had thrown a rock. We turned around, speaking to them in French and saying ‘no!’ fervently, and turned away to go on our way. The next moment, Hannah yelped in pain and grabbed her head – a little harder and a half an inch lower, and Hannah could’ve been in serious medical trouble. After discussing what we wanted to do, all of us marched back to get the girls, and attempt to teach them a lesson. The one who had thrown the rock ran away, while the other children dragged back the other culprit (the rock-thrower’s 10-year-old sister who had goaded her on and grabbed our arms, making demands). After speaking with a nearby neighbor, we made the girl march us to her house, where we questioned her about her actions, told her we didn’t believe her when she told us it was a little game and that she told her sister not to do it, and that we wanted to see her parents/guardians and explain what she had done. Her aunt and uncle weren’t home, so we let the incident go. We all knew that regardless of them being home, the girls would probably get beat (corporal punishment is alive, well, and highly accepted in schools, homes, hospitals, and even work). I’m certainly not a fan of this, but I don’t know how to reconcile that with also wanting the girls to know the wrongness of their actions/that they can’t do this again. It’s a definite moral dilemma.
             In another incident of children’s misguided actions, my family had a guest (a young mother with a 4-year-old daughter and a young son – I’d be shocked if these kids didn’t have serious health issues already, namely parasites and upper respiratory infections). After my sister and the mother went to the kitchen with the baby, the girl marched over to me, and started punching me in the leg. I immediately grabbed her wrists, demanded to know what she was doing and why, and told her to stop. She stopped, but the next moment we were alone in the living room, the girl did it again. I grabbed her wrists (hard), she tried to bit my hand, and I wrangled her hands behind her back, cop-style, as I marched her into the kitchen to tell her mother and my sister. Both verbally scolded her, and not 10 minutes later, she was sitting on a small bench with me helping me clean a recently killed chicken (I watched it being killed and prepared it from directly after to table – a great feeling to see from farm to table). She then snuggled up to me, asked to help me peel garlic, and clung tightly to me in a hug at one point. Needless to say, I am baffled by children’s behavior here.
            On a happier note, Bafia people visited Bokito on Sunday and we had a celebration, complete with lots of cold drinks, lots of dancing to African and American music, street meat and spaghetti omelets, and hanging out – a phenomenal day. After Bafia people left, Bokito people crashed the training center and made dinner (pasta with Laughing Cow cheese, garlic, basil, and tomatoes) and watched a movie (“The Birdcage” – a movie about a homosexual couple, which was incredibly ironic due to the fact that Cameroon is one of the most homophobic countries in the world, where homosexuality is illegal and punishable by vigilante death), and ate popcorn. Easily one of the best nights I’ve had here so far.

            Pidgin has also been going really well, and is lots of fun to learn. Instead of being ‘broken English’ as I had originally thought, Pidgin has its roots in both the English and Portuguese languages, and is actually a pretty ancient language, with several different dialects in Africa. I’m very close to Nigeria in Kembong, and apparently Nigerians have their own unique editions/phrases in Pidgin. The title of the blog, ‘small small, catch monkey’ means ‘slowly, slowly, we will arrive.’ It’s also amazing that during Pidgin classes, all of us are shifting easily (usually without even a second thought) between three different languages (English, French, Pidgin) in order to learn. Knowing that we can do that, let alone are doing it unconsciously, is a great feeling of accomplishment. All in all, despite another rollercoaster week, I’m very happy/satisfied here, and can’t believe that in less than 3 weeks, I’ll be en route to my site and another life transition!

No comments:

Post a Comment