Thursday, October 24, 2013

Catch Booby: Starting Pidgin, Condoms Causing Cancer, and other Fun Facts about Cameroonian Village Life

Every morning when I walk to training, I feel like I am stepping into one of the opening scenes of “Beauty and the Beast,” the one where Belle walks into town and quite literally EVERY villager (man, woman, or child) pauses whatever they were doing to say a friendly ‘bonjour.’ Now imagine that African villageois style, and without the cutesy Disney music in the background, and you’ve got my typical morning. Although saying ‘bonjour’ to every single child in a large group that is, like me, on their morning commute to school, sounds a bit tiring, it’s actually kind of enjoyable, and even more so when the old ladies (who, by the way, I greet with a ‘bonjour, Mama’ and a wave with my right hand – to wave with my left would be taboo since the left hand is characteristically only used for unclean things) return my greeting with a ‘bonjour, ma fille’ or ‘bonjour, ma cherié’ (hello, my daughter/another term of endearment). Although these greetings may seem small, it’s a sign that I have shown them respect in my greeting, and they have accepted it – always a good sign that the white person, although ignorant in other customs, can observe the basic politeness needed for greetings in a country where they are so important.

            This week of training was probably the best yet, due in no small part to the fact that we finally started learning more applicable content in our tech training, instead of talking in broad terms. Monday started off with our first TDA assignment (as with any government entity, the Peace Corps is rife with acronyms, and while I know what most mean, I won’t bother to spell out those that aren’t really important). Our job was to translate a series of questions into French regarding malaria, including insecticide-treated bed net (ITN) usage, knowledge about prevention and transmission of the disease, and other related questions. We were then to ask our families these questions, which conceded some very interesting answers. I also (finally) received confirmation on one of the million dollar questions - that regarding what my host mother actually does: she’s some sort of nurse, or nurse aid at the Bokito integrated health center. This means that she, and the rest of my family, know a lot about malaria transmission and prevention, including the importance of ITN usage every night (and tucking in the net), IPTp (intermittent preventive treatment for pregnant women) and other perceptions in the community, including the fact that many members of the community do not use nets because they perceive them to be hot, stifling, seem unable to breathe, and/or associate ITNs with an element of the traditional funerary rights. As a side note, my friend Kimmie’s family experienced the loss of one of their sons in a traffic accident, and after having the funeral in the home (both funerals, rather – one preliminary, and one after he was embalmed – or so I gather), the family retained the liver of their son as a sort of charm for good luck in the future – thought this was interesting. Although my family had fantastic knowledge about malaria, other families in the community did not, some thinking that malaria was caused by bad air, eating green mangoes, or the result of some act of sorcery.

We also had the opportunity to practice our PACA (participatory assessment for community action) and CNA (community needs assessment) tools with a community group. Although much (okay, most) of my MPH education focusing on health policy and management will probably not be applicable to my life in Cameroon, it was nice to be able to finally apply some of the behavioral/social tools that I learned while at Emory. I’m with the group working with roughly 40 secondary school students (ages ranging from 11-28) from the school’s health club to put our PACA/CNA tools into action. We designed an initial assessment with the target topic of sexual health, specifically HIV/AIDS, and knowledge regarding contraceptives. After the initial icebreaker activity and dividing the group into males and females in separate rooms (we figured, correctly I might add, that the division of the sexes would make for an environment more conducive to discussing potentially sensitive topic areas). The leader of the club, the male biology professor at the school, thought we should not be doing sexual health, but instead wanted us to focus our efforts on WASH (water and sanitation health) – which he told us after we arrived and told him our pre-formulated program for the session… Our tech liaison, Theo, said that that would not be possible, as we had already prepared our session, but that we would attempt to incorporate WASH if at all possible. After we started with the group (after working with them to create a set of ground rules/expectations, including confidentiality), it was clear that WASH was not at all on their minds. While the girls had seemed seriously demure with the presence of the males in the room, when the guys headed out, it was as if someone flipped a switch on their personalities: they were animated, they were fighting to ask questions, and they wanted to hear and be heard on their own terms – if I had to describe it in a word, I’d say these ladies felt empowered. And aside from that being good for them, it’s also a damn good feeling to know that I could facilitate them feeling this way, if only for a few hours.

As a side note about gender relations, I had an incident with my host family the other night. I made popcorn with my three host sisters, my creepy host brother was nowhere to be find, not that I minded, since yes, this is the very same who expressed his undying love for me on various occasions, most of which occur when I am dripping in sweat and fairly positive that I stink. After making American-style popcorn with melted margarine (what I wouldn’t do for a real stick of cold butter) and salt (Cameroonians put sugar and salt on their popcorn), my host brother came into the kitchen as I was talking with my oldest host sister, Mireille. I didn’t notice he was there until he whispered ‘bon soir’ (good evening) in my ear in what I can only assume he meant to be a seductive voice – it had the exact opposite effect on me. He then announced to Mireille that he was hungry, when the huge cooking pots of dinner (my family makes enough food to feed a small army every evening) were sitting not two feet away. He then told her to get him dinner, to which Mireille replied something to the effect of ‘no, I’m tired, please get it yourself because I’m having a conversation with Valerie,’ and I respond with “Ha! The cooking pots of food are right there, so how about you get it yourself, Daniel.” He responded by looking at me, giving me an indulgent smile, and shaking his head no. Mireille looked at me helplessly, and then proceeded to get her brother (10 years her junior, and who, to my knowledge, doesn’t do a damn thing in the house except sweep occasionally and chop wood) his dinner. Needless to say, I’m still irked by the situation, and am nothing but curtly cordial to him since then. However, since then, I’ve had a couple awesome bonding moments with my sisters and mama, most notably, singing Celine Dion, Michael Jackson and Shakira at the top of our lungs with only the light of kerosene lamps while the power was out (sensing a pattern here from a previous post?). I also was roped into teaching them the dance steps to Thriller. All in all, I really enjoy these little moments with my family. 
 
Getting back to the community group, though. The ladies had lots of questions, each demonstrating a different set of knowledge and experiences regarding sexual health; many mentioned that they did not have a family member or guardian who they could consult about sexual health issues; one girl asked us if condoms cause cancer or any other diseases; another told us that she got birth control pills from the “pharmacy” stands that pop up on market day (untrained villagers selling potentially counterfeit drugs, or at the very least, drugs of highly-questionable validity and ingredients, some of which could have fatal consequences – my host mama has known women who have miscarried due to the effects of taking supposedly inane medicines from these pharmacy stands); after acquiring the birth control pills, the girl then proceeded to share them with her friends (thereby completing defeating the purpose); and just generally interesting tidbits and questions about whether or not they had the right to ask their partner to wear protection, or insist on using contraceptive methods in a relationship. All fascinating, really. We have two follow-up sessions with the health club in the upcoming weeks, and I can only hope that they will be as interesting/informative as this first one.

After the community group session, and reading more about the SW region, I’ve been seriously thinking about projects that I could do in my community. One that I’m particularly excited about builds on the knowledge that I acquired in my research in Tanzania, about the integration of medical systems: biomedicine and ethnomedicine (more commonly referred to as ‘traditional medicine’). The SW region has the highest degree of animism, shamanism, and ethnomedical use in Cameroon, and I’m told that many women still turn to traditional birth attendants (TBAs) instead of the staff at health centers when their time comes. So, my preliminary idea for a project (again, this is highly tentative and may not even feasible in Kembong) would be to promote a partnership and build capacity between natural healers/TBAs and health center staff, to foster a degree of cooperation, and ideally to hold dual training sessions for practitioners from each medical system; particularly for TBAs to have some sort of training in additional birthing methods to promote the safest birth possible, particularly if the woman cannot make it to the health center, or is hindered due to other barriers (distance, money, time, etc). Again, highly tentative idea, but I’m still excited about it, and what I can accomplish with my community. After my interview with the country director, Jackie, she seemed particularly excited about the idea, and from her preliminary knowledge about the region/Kembong, thought that project might in fact be feasible! We also learned about the importance of PACA/CNA and constructing programs with your community that are culturally relevant and actually needed when we heard about a huge Plumpynut program in the Adamoua, where an NGO came in and distributed mass amounts of the nutritious substance to malnourished children – unfortunately, the mothers of these children proceeded to keep their children malnourished, choosing instead to feast on the Plumpynut themselves or sell it and reap the benefits, since they realized that the NGO would continue to hand out mass quantities of the substance without any monitoring and evaluation measures and/or community contribution to the project. 


            On Saturday, we had our second LPI (language placement interview), and I was not about to have a repeat performance of my first LPI in Yaoundé. My language instructor, Jackie, and I practiced and did several mock interviews beforehand. All the practice and hard work paid off, as I went from novice low to intermediate mid in the language levels! I was very pleased, and even more so because intermediate mid is the target level for those going to Anglophone regions, meaning that I don’t ever have to take another LPI, and I can start learning Pidgin – hooray! ‘Catch booby’ is Pidgin for bra, by the way. The weekend continued on a high note when half the health stagiares went to Bafia for an evening of hanging out with the Bafia stagiares, drinking shade-temperature beer, and generally enjoying a night away from Bokito. I stayed with my friend, Kate (a youth development volunteer) and had the luxury of watching the first episodes of the new season of Downton Abbey (yay!) and making scrambled eggs (sans onions or tomatoes – another big yay!) on a gas-fueled stove – oh, the luxury. Sunday continued to be good with another dance party with my sisters and getting my hair braided again. Although I’ll miss my fellow stagiares dearly, I can’t say that I’ll be too disappointed if the next few weeks of PST pass quickly so that I can be at my post. But for now, I’m sitting pretty and wuna waka fine (you all have a good life/time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment