Thursday, October 3, 2013

Bushmeat, Brownies, and Site Descriptions

While I still have internet, I thought I’d do another post highlighting a few more amusing and serious experiences. The first amusing incident happened today during our session on sexual harassment, where the language instructors/other Cameroonian staff, and the stagiares were divided into men and women, American and Cameroonian, to talk about gender expectations surrounding intimacy and sex. According to the Cameroonian women, the social cues that they look for to determine if Cameroonian men are interested are: gifts of bushmeat (in the villages) and chocolate (in the city) and phone credit, and palm scratching (this happened to me at a bar the other day – it gave me the willies – handshaking is a BIG deal here, with every human greeting punctuated by shaking the hand of everyone in the room, and when I was out for a soda (not a euphemism for beer, I was actually having a soda), a man was chatting with his friends and after commenting on the fact that I was clearly a Peace Corps volunteer, he shook my hand, and he used two fingers (while doing the handshake) to scratch my palm/wrist, which is the symbol for wanting to have sex with someone). According to the American men, they know a woman is interested when she bakes brownies and puts on romantic music, and a solo date movie night. Thought the cross-cultural translation was interesting.

            On a more serious note, the hardest part of my service (other than language) has been picking up on emotions, and it doesn’t help that I don’t have the French knowledge to pick up on context clues. I can easily decipher when my family is angry (thankfully never at me yet), because the voice volume raises exponentially, and they speak really rapidly. Likewise, happiness is also easy to determine because of our mutual smiling and laughing (thankfully I’ve been increasingly more able to share in the jokes/smiles instead of them laughing at me). However, joking and being upset is not easy to tell. I know this may sound strange, but so far, my experience with Cameroonians is that they are very passive. For example, when my host sisters and I went to the market to buy cloth, on the way home, my host sister asked to see my cloth and said “oh, it’s beautiful. I wanted this.” Gaah, what does this mean?! Did she mean she wanted to buy the fabric herself; wanted me to buy it for her; she was complimenting me on my good taste; or wanted me to split it with her? Who knows? Another instance was when I went to the bar after class with my fellow stagiares. I dropped off my books at home, greeted my family, and told them I was going to meet with some friends, but would be home before our curfew. My oldest host sister looked at me funny and then said, “ooohh, okay. But then when will you eat?” I responded “oh, when I get home, there is no need to wait for me if you all want to eat.” She seemed dissatisfied with this answer, and I still have yet to figure out if she minded that I was going, or what the deal was. When I got home, there was no mention of, or semblance of the awkwardness of our earlier conversation. Other little instances have happened, but it seems that until I acquire the French and cross-cultural skills necessary to understand context and cultural clues, I’ll have to be content with the fact that if they were truly upset about something, I would know. But on the plus side, this weekend, my family finally let me help them with house chores and cooking after my repeated attempts to help – yay! Apart from cleaning and cooking several fish, I made an omelet, shelled peanuts and cooked them, and made a fire.

Another amusing instance happened when I had a serious conversation in mostly French with my host brothers and his friends about American women and dating.
My host brother’s friend opened the discussion with the statement “all Cameroonian women are ugly; all the American Peace Corps volunteers that come here are beautiful” (keep in mind that he’s saying this on the veranda where I am sitting in a small puddle of my own sweat, hair frizzing out in all directions, zero makeup, and quite sure that the smell assailing my nose is not from the fermenting cocoa beans, but rather from me... also, he’s saying this in front of my 14 year-old host sister)
Me: “*audible snort* Are you joking? I think that Cameroonian women are beautiful. Also, I think it is one’s personality that makes them attractive (my thoughts: ha, let’s see how you respond to that one!)
Him: Oh no, American women are so beautiful.
My host sister: Every creature that God made is beautiful.
Me: (not wanting to turn this into a discussion about religion, I nod and smile)
Him: Do all American women have fiancés?
Me (huge inner sigh) No, they don’t.
Him: (grinning ear to ear) Oh really?? Can you call [all the female stagiares in the village] and ask if they have fiancés for me?
Me: HA (another audible snort). No, I will not do that for you.
Him: (a stricken look on his face) Why not?!
Me: Because if you are interested, you need to talk to them yourselves. And I’m not wasting my phone credit. And no, I will not give you their phone numbers. (winning smile to smooth over the blow)
Him: Okay, well I will talk to all of them, and we will date very, very soon (polygamy is highly accepted in Cameroonian culture – but not polygyny).
Me: thinking how to explain the meaning of ‘dream on’ in French, I simply smile and say ‘okay’

            We also have our site descriptions! As previously explained, we’re doing the bidding system, where we have a list of sites, and choose our top and bottom three. A little snippet from my top four are (in no particular order):
-       Integrated Health Clinic in Kembong, in the Southwest region: replacement site, semi-rural, Anglophone region, having other PCVs nearby, working closely with enthusiastic health center staff, semi-reliable running water and electricity, and variety of projects: nutrition, malaria, HIV/AIDS.
-       Integrated Health Center in Djalingo, in the Southwest (they said this is in the SW, but I’m pretty sure it’s actually in the North): replacement site, rural, but near to bigger city, variety of projects – capacity building, malaria, nutrition, HIV/AIDS, motivated partners.
-       Integrated Health Center in Bapi, in the West region: replacement site, availability of a variety of food, water and electricity, reliable counterpart, varied health activities, francophone region.
-       District Hospital in Pitoa, in the North: ability to work on the UNICEF SASDE project; basically an ideal fit for what I studied at Emory, but I’m a little leery that it’s in the North and advanced conversational skills in French are required, and otherwise it’d be perfect.

We chat with the health program directors next week before we head off to a site visit, where we stay with a current PCV. The Wednesday of the following week, I’ll know the direction of my next two years, and I couldn’t be more anxiously awaiting that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment