Thursday, November 14, 2013

A be woman for Cameroon: Beaucoup du kids and The Beginning of the End of PST

The title of this blog post is in Pidgin, and is representative of my realization this week that I am really, really starting to care a lot about Cameroon – the people, the health issues, the way I as a PCV can fit into my community, etc. This realization has been a gradual process, and not at all unexpected, but really struck me when I, with the rest of the stagiares, went to the local maternal school (like primary school in the U.S.) to conduct a nutritional screening with the children there. We divided into groups of two or three and each took a station in the following sequence: asking the children their names, ages (if they knew them), how many family members they have, if they had eaten breakfast, if they were planning on eating lunch or dinner, and if they had diarrhea; taking their weight and converting it to kilograms; taking their height; taking their upper arm circumference; checking for edema (swelling) in their feet, and if necessary, hands/wrists; checking for conjunctivitis in their lower eyelids (if it’s pale pink or white, it’s a sign of anemia); and repeating the earlier questions to hopefully get some degree of accuracy. When I was sitting there on the rough-hewn school benches waiting for the next child to come through, I was struck with an overwhelming sense of rightness and comfort – the feeling of contentment to just be, and the fact that less than 10 weeks ago, I would have been analyzing and comparing the situation to what I’d previously experienced, but now I was content to just be – be in the moment, be with the children and my fellow volunteers, be comfortable in a situation that previously would’ve been far outside my comfort zone. It was a great feeling and realization, especially given the fact that one of my best friends here, Kimmi, decided to ET (early terminate) on Monday and by Wednesday, was on a flight back to the U.S. Although her and I talked extensively on our weekly Monday evening “Yaoundé roommate reconnect” chats over a beer, waking up early on Tuesday to see her off still shook me up and put me close to crying for the first time here. Thus, my realization and feelings of rightness on Wednesday were even more so special to me.
            Later that day, Layne, Spencer, Liz and I went to the English Club at the secondary school to chat with some of the same students that I had seen before when doing my presentation over a month ago. Layne and I took the younger grades, and after our introductions and feeling out the group dynamics, content with our Franglais (English-French combination), we answered question after question from the students. Some of the memorable ones were: why do Americans use so much lotion on their bodies (not sure if this was translated correctly, since from what I’ve seen, African women use just as much lotion); why do Americans like fruit so much when they come here (some fruits taste way better here than in the U.S. – case in point, my love for pamplemousse rouge (ruby red grapefruit) when I hated it in the States); can American women do karate/play any sport that a man can; why do American women have such long hair; why are we in Cameroon – what are we getting out of the deal; how do we like Cameroon so far; and can we tell them our national anthem. To the last question, Layne and I decided to sing it in front of the whole 30+ group of students. At the end of our out-of-tune and rushed rendition, we were greeted with thunderous applause from the students. We then asked them to sing their own national anthem. The whole experience turned out to be a neat cross-cultural exchange opportunity for both the students and us.   
            On Thursday, we each had to give a 20+ minute presentation in French on a relevant cultural topic for a panel of our language instructors and a group of other stagiares. My presentation on family planning methods and subsequent Jeopardy game was a huge hit (due in no small part to the fact that I had practiced for my host family the night before, which was great for correction of my pronunciation). I got a 97.5% on the presentation, and am officially done with my French requirements for the rest of PST - ideally meaning I only have Pidgin language class for the next week. I was also really proud of constructing a 20-minute presentation in French (with question and answer period, also in French) with no internet access, and barely any other resources – a great feeling of accomplishment. I also think the lack of internet access in Bokito has really made the bonds between us health volunteers stronger - we all get along well, go out to the bar for drinks or do other things to all hang out pretty much every other night, even after spending all day together, and are a generally tight-knit group of people. This type of dynamic doesn’t exist on a large scale/to the same degree among Bafia volunteers, and I’m grateful to have it with my fellow health trainees.
            Some other highlights of the week include: a tofu making demonstration; interacting with my host family (most host mother said she would cry when I left, because I’m so funny and interesting – a real compliment, given that it’s been hard to discern her emotions in the past); completing my final TDA assignment (interviewing my family about nutritional practices within the community); the realization that I’m no longer terrified of going home and struggling to communicate in French; watching French movies in French class (from Amelié to a Cameroonian video on actual cases of rape and incest – quite the spectrum); and hearing that we’ll be staying in a posh home stay setting the night before swearing in (we’re all staying with American ex-pats, current Embassy workers, or Cameroonians who work at Peace Corps); doing yoga several times in the training center with others, and hanging out with Bafia and Bokito PCTs in Bokito on Saturday.  
On Sunday, we had a Diversity Day with the rest of the trainees and language/cross-cultural formateurs (teachers) in Bafia – super fun! I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect, but both the PCTs and the formateurs really pulled it out – there was tons of food from all the different regions, homemade peanut butter and papaya jelly, mac and cheese, homemade onion rings, and lots of entertainment – from solo step dancing, to agfo line dancing, and several formateur-led events. We also did our first performance of our main entertainment for our swearing in ceremony: singing and dancing to Cat Stevens’ “Peace Train.” I also led the health stagiares in a flash mob performance of the Macarena – sweet success! After, we all had a dance party before heading back to Bokito. In short, a fabulous rest of the week, although it absolutely flew by!


No comments:

Post a Comment